Tuesday, January 27, 2009

designed and directed by his Red Right Hand


My new typing mitts for my cold jobjob: Red Right Hand


Hands cold? Want your own pair? Here are some simple directions (Recession Series Pattern #2!)

Materials: About 100 yards of Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in Pinstripe

About 100 yards of Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Red

4 US 1 double-pointed needles

2 stitch markers

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch in stockinette

Handwarmer measures 6 inches around wrist and palm. Add stitches if you would like to size up.

Stripe as suits your fancy.

Cast on 48 stitches, distribute onto 3 needles, and join to work in the round. Work in stockinette stitch until piece measures 3 inches. On next round, place a marker before and after the second stitch on the first needle to indicate the place for the thumb increases.

Increase one stitch after the first marker and one stitch before the second marker every other round until you have 23 stitches between the two markers. Work 5 rounds with no increases.

On the next round, put the 23 thumb stitches on a stitch holder or length of waste yarn. Cast on 3 stitches in their place (for a total of 50 stitches) and continue to work in the round until piece measures 8 inches. Cast off loosely.

Return thumb stitches to 3 double-pointed needles and pick up 5 additional stitches where the thumb joins the body of the handwarmer (28 stitches total). Work in stockinette for 6 rounds. Cast off loosely.

Wear with some attitude, people.

One more thing... if you're reading this and have a flickr account, consider yourself tagged: Post a photo of yourself along with 16 things people may not know about you. Leave the link or your Flickr name in the comments so I can get to know more about you, you readers out there. Here's mine:





7 comments:

Marietta said...

i saw these on ravelry - i have to know - are they named for the NIck Cave song?

KnittingBlueContent said...

Here I be:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajdury/2273920954/in/set-72157607316696269/


Sixteen things? That's a whole hellofalot!

Because I love your blog (and your hair in all its phases more!) Here It be:

1) Adopted at 7
2) Lived on a farm for many of my young years
3) HATE farm life but love country living
4) Would be vegatarian (at the least) or vegan (at the most) except for my hub, Mr. Red Neckerson
5) Kinda resent him for that
6) Unadopted at 15.5
7) Ayup. Seriously. Ask and I'll tell ya all about it
8) Ward of the Court (ain't that quaint?) at 16
9) Left un-parented teenage living at 18, upon graduation
10) Worked my entire adult life
11) I can whip out your tax returns (Fed & State) faster than most and still love all the complexities of tax law
12) For the first time in 22 years I'm not easily finding work
13) Never wanted and never want to be responsible for kids. Yours, mine or others
14) Don't have a tattoo
15) I just cut 14 inches of superfluous hair off my head and it feels GOOD!
16) I wish I had the guts to be truly me, and that's the most honest answer of them all.

"ajdury" over on ravely.com

Andreapgn said...

These are knits with a sense of humor. I totally love them!

Anonymous said...

hmmm....I did something similar for facebook and posted it on my blog. Does that count? I'll have to come up with a good photo, I guess...

cheers for recession mitts! One student in a class I was subbing for came in wearing overalls that were just a bit too snug and explained to me that they were his recession overalls - when we hit a full-fledged depression, he wears them without a shirt, or goes straight to the barrel with suspenders. (have I told you this story before? I think I'm getting old. crappity crap. oh well.)

Emily said...

Well. Nick Cave certainly will be stuck in my head for the foreseeable future. These are really cute! I love asymmetrical stripes.

My take on that meme is over here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
craftivore said...

Wow, you are FAST with those wrist warmers. They look great and so recession chic. I loved your 25 things on flickr and how open you are. I've thought about doing it but then got exhausted by the idea.